Monday, September 29, 2008

The Rickshaw

As I mentioned in the previous blog, Scott and I went to Clarke Quay this past weekend but I failed to mention our ride home. I had decided to dress up and wear heels that night but since I practically live in bare feet or flip flops my feet were in a bit of pain. As we were walking back to the MRT station after dinner, we were approached by the Rickshaw drivers. For those of you who don't know, rickshaws are the bikes with a cart pulled either behind it or on the side for passengers. Since my feet were killing me at this point I gladly paid the S$10 dollars for the short ride to the MRT.

From the very beginning it was a unique experience complete with music playing from somewhere beneath the cart we were sitting in. It quickly became more exciting as he turned the rickshaw directly into on-coming traffic! Thankfully we made it across the 3 lane road and turned to at least be moving the same direction as the traffic although you could have easily walked faster than we were moving. Soon he had picked up some speed and he then we made a left turn...away from the MRT station we needed to be at. Scott and I were amused with the ride so decided to just enjoy it. Well, enjoy it as much as I could as I had a death grip on the railing willing the other vehicles not to hit us. He finally made one more turn (again directly into on coming traffic) and annouced the MRT station was right across the street. He was correct though it was the wrong MRT station on the wrong line. We ended up walking twice as far as we even had to change trains and added an extra 4 stops! Though my feet were beyond painful at this point, it was completely worth our traffic dodging scenic rickshaw ride.

Food =) We have a McDonald'd about a block from our house its one of the few "western" places to eat that actually tastes the same (mostly). I'm not sure if I mentioned this before, but there is a complete obsession with Chili sauce here much like the US has with ketchup. I have to admit I am becoming addicted as well since it is slightly spicy and I never liked ketchup much anyways. They also offer a curry sauce for the chicken nuggets along with our familiar sweet n sour and barbecue. The menu is much more limited with only 6 meals including a fold-over grilled chicken (looks like chicken in a pita wrap) and there are no pork products. Burger King is the same way serving only turkey bacon and ham. They also offer an "upsize" option that is the equivalent of a medium drink and large fry in the US.

No comments: