Scott and I are both full blown into working again, so we haven't gotten out much the last couple weekends. We spent all last Saturday being complete bums in the apartment which was wonderful. Its Saturday again and we still haven't gone out much, though we did venture down to the local markets by our apartment. Its a different atmosphere and experience than we are used to in the US. We have to go to one store for milk and eggs, a different one for fruit, another one for vegetables, and then make it to the bakery for bread. All of the stores are right in the same area, in fact there are Super Walmarts that take up more space than all the vendors together. Its nice but just a different experience for us. There are some vendors with fresh fish, poultry, and pork (I think) though I haven't attempted to purchase anything from these. First, I don't know how to cook fish and I am not touching it when it still has it head and more importantly eyes. Then the poultry is pretty much the same thing since they sell the whole chicken although there are some cut up parts I couldn't tell you what parts they were cut from. The other I believe is pork again not really sure and I don't think they sell beef down there (not surprising since it isn't common here anyways).
Aside from the food vendors there are numerous other little shops which really makes it a community area. We can get pretty much everything we need down there (aside from the meats because I am still scared!). There are stores with toilet paper and paper towels, another with notebooks and toys, one for movies and cds, and Scott even found workout shorts for S$0.80 a piece. You really can't beat that.... have to save this money to afford going out =P
I already mentioned food but Scott and I went to Clarke Quay last night. I think my favorite restaurant in Singapore is a Spanish Tapas restaurant. Its the closest to American food I have found here. Though I think you can find any ethniticity of food you can think of there... Persian, Indian, Morrocian, Spanish, Chinese, Japanese, Mexican, Italian, Korean, or American (happens to be a Hooters!)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment