Sunday, August 3, 2008

Day Two

So I am starting to notice a few differences between the States and Singapore. First, I can't find napkins hardly anywhere and when I do they are either really thin or tiny. I am finding his difficult because anyone that has ever seen me eat knows I use a ton of napkins. It is definitely less wasteful this way, but not sure what to do when the food misses my mouth (which it does frequently!) Even the bathrooms have very thin toilet paper and no paper towels.

We finally went grocery shopping... its expensive! Granted I am not great at converting the money between US dollars and Singapore Dollars yet, so it may not be as bad as it appears. Some of the stuff is definitely more expensive though and I am sure its due to importing it. We can get Fruit Loops and Cocoa Crispys but for about 11.90 SGD or 8.69 USD. Needless to say, we will be trying more local foods! It just nice to know we can get foods we are used if I get the sudden craving for Beddar Cheddars (about $11.00 USD). Another strange thing about the grocery stores... they have milk on the regular shelves right next to the cereal. They also have some milk in the refridgerated sections, as well.

I also need to mention the cost of alcohol... its really, really expensive. They have extremely high taxes on alcohol and cigs. A six pack of Bud Light is about $18.26 USD!!! A pitcher of Tiger (local beer) at the bar was $22.64 USD..... its about the same price for drinks in the bar as it is in grocery store.

Finally, because its me... I want to mention the food for today. We went to the food court in the mall and had Indian food. We had pratas which are similar to crepes and stuff with various things. We had mushroom and cheese, egg and cheese, and plain pratas. Then they are served with a spicy, curry gravy. It was really good!

No comments: