Thursday, January 8, 2009

Holidays in Singapore

Well, this was our first round of holidays in Singapore and we definitely missed our friends and family, but were very fortunate to have a surrogate family here. On Christmas Eve, Scott and I spent the evening at home with just the two of us and I cooked enough food for a small army. We had ham, broccoli casserole, stuffing, mashed potatoes, green beans, gravy, and cheesecake. Did I mention we had ham? because we still have ham leftover in our freezer! Thankfully the food was good since we were eating it for several days although my broccoli casserole can't compete with my aunt's. After dinner we started watching classic Christmas movies like Charlie Brown and The Grinch Who Stole Christmas and we even tried some egg nog. We had decided to open presents at midnight on Christmas Eve so I checked the time after every movie and thought it would never be midnight! Finally, it was time to open presents on our first Christmas with just the 2 of us and I have to add Scott did an awesome job wrapping my presents. Since I seemed to have reverted back to a 5 year old after eating too much, watching cartoons, and getting giddy over my presents we ended up in bed early.

On Christmas day, we had brunch at the Raffle's Long Bar Steakhouse with Craig, Christina, and their family. It was a very nice brunch with free flowing wine (or beer) and Raffle's has a nostalgic feel to it that lends itself nicely to the Christmas season. After brunch, we followed up with Singapore Slings in the Long Bar then continued to talk, drink, and be entertained by Didi as she waved to everyone. Once everyone gave up for the night, Scott and I took a cab to Orchard Rd. Well, we tried to but the road was closed to traffic. We started walking towards Orchard and the place was packed. They had lights strung across the road from every lamp posts and the stores were lit up, as well. We never even made it to Orchard Rd due to the crowds but we were already on sensory overload from the lights everywhere.

Time seems to be going by faster now and soon enough it was New Year's Eve. We went for dinner with Craig and Christina again with some of their friends and family at Prive on the waterfront. The dinner was overpriced for the quality but the presentation was great. I can now say I have tried foie gras... not likely to be a repeat, but I tried it. Thankfully there was no bone marrow on the menu as I was fearing. After dinner we went to the outside bar for more drinks and a tequila shot that never should have happened! The evening continued to get more and more entertaining as usual when drinks are involved. It was a nice New Year's Eve... I just can't believe its 2009 already.

No comments: