Friday, November 28, 2008

Thanksgiving

Let me start by saying how much we truly miss all our friends and family and around the holidays it becomes even more apparent. This was our first major holiday since moving to Singapore and since Thanksgiving isn't celebrated here, we weren't planning on anything big this year. In fact, Scott and I were both working. Craig and Christina are away from their family as well and have become our extended family, so we decided to celebrate together and invited one of Scott's co-workers on assignment here from Texas, too. Even though I love cooking, I wasn't going to attempt cooking a turkey. It would have cost a fortune since everything has to be imported and as much as I love leftovers I wasn't looking forward to turkey at every meal for weeks. Not to mention, the small detail that I've never cooked a whole turkey before. Thankfully (pun intended) we found a hotel, The Fullerton, offering a Thanksgiving buffet. Admittedly, I didn't have high hopes that it would come anywhere close to my idea of a traditional Thanksgiving feast, but I was pleasantly surprised. They had a huge spread complete with turkey, mashed potatoes and gravy, stuffing, and lots of veggies. I would have been content with that alone, but they had everything from steak and lobster to pizza and lasagna. I'm still cautious with eating meats here, but these were cooked the ways I familiar with. However, my favorite was the entire section devoted to desserts (I've gained a sweet tooth) and the free pour beer and wine was a nice touch, as well. All and all it was much better than I expected and we are truly thankful for the friends we have met and all the new experiences while we still miss everyone back home dearly. I can't believe Christmas is less than a month away but not surprisingly we still haven't done our shopping yet. We are planning to get full swing into Christmas mode by getting a tree and decorations this weekend.

No comments: